Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The DND game systems...

I know that there have been a million reviews and comparisions between 5th edition DND and Pathfinder, but after playing both again and getting some better experience, I would like to chime in. 

Pathfinder - This is the successor to the OGL, Open Game License, for DND 3.5. This game is mature and has a GIGANTIC catalogue of material.  I have recently gotten the opportunity to get back into this game and I have to say that I love the complexity.  I take the time and explore my characters options and I love the organic development.  I enjoy being invested in the future of my PC and think that the complexity lends itself to that style of play very well.  That being said, it is a daunting task to create a character with any pre-focused idea.  You need to know what you want that PC to be in the end, and have alternate routes planned. 

5th ed - The latest release for the game that started tabletop roleplay!  5th edition reads and plays like it is a recruiting tool.  It is easy to make a character and start playing.  It has been out for a few years now and there is some really good material out for all of the classes.  I enjoy playing this system, but I don't get the same investment in a character that I have in other games.  It looks on the surface like there is a lot of depth in the characters, but hardly any of that has any use in the game.  It's like they created the game and taped a background system on to the finished product.  I know that seems minor and for some has no effect at all on a character, but if you are going to put it in the game at least let it do something.